Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Friday November 11, 2005 at 00:15
DPD1
Lurking Member
November 2005
On 10/25/05 13:34 ET, Spiky said...

Digital sat is only CAPABLE of 480 lines of resolution.
But resolution is not the end-all factor in picture
quality. DirecTV tends to compress the channels
so much it doesn't matter what the resolution
is, they still look bad on an HDTV. Soft and occasionally
macro-blocking is visible. I see this on a 20"
TV, on my big screen it is not worth watching.
I don't think Dish is as bad right now, but that
is from what others tell me so I can't really
say.

Many of the channels still look bad on ANYTHING. I have Dish, and I was shocked when I realized how much compression was being used on some channels. I live right in the city, which has good reception for about 12 local channels... So I can reluctantly use an antenna (which is ridiculous) to get the locals on-air, and have better PQ. But what really gets me, is that they use high compression on popular channels that are not locals as well... SciFi, Spike and others... I can actually see the frame rate start dropping in low light scenes on SciFi. I'm not using anything fancy for monitors, so I can imagine how the people with the big buck sets feel. They don't even bother cranking up the bandwidth on big 3 network sporting events, which are typically using the best capture technology, producing excellent images... Then it all gets filtered through the provider and turned into a quicktime movie.

It's kind of upsetting when you think of all the technology that's happening now days, and in the end, you get a worse picture then was available 20 years ago. Supposedly they're putting up another sat in a couple months... But they'll probably just use the extra bandwidth for more shopping channels. They claim they did a poll, asking people which would they rather have... Better picture, or more channels. Apparently most people have poor vision, because they all asked for more channels.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse