Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday November 24, 2005 at 01:16
bcf1963
September 2004
On November 23, 2005 at 13:48, FreddyFreeloader said...
For one TV or receiver?

If you read his question, he discusses splitting the attic antenna. This tells me that using a multiswitch to distribute the OTA will simplify wiring.

Just seems like alot
of trouble and alot of connections, increasing
your chances of losing a channel.

So what is the "alot of trouble" part? In houses where two cables have been run from the wiring closet to each TV location, it's a lot more trouble to run the third coax for OTA!

Also, how does the "alot of connections" increase the chance for losing a channel. My experience has been that by amplifying the OTA antenna using a mast or attic mounted preamp, and adjusting signal strength so it is adequate but not overdriven at the multiswitch, results in plenty of signal strength at the receivers, even once the diplexers are used.

If you don't have adequate signal strength at the multiswitch, the OTA amp in the multiswitch will not be able to overcome the noise floor, and you'll get a poor signal. But this will occur regardless of the number of connections in the system, even if the coax is run directly to only one location.

If your talking about needing antenna for all
8, 12, or 16 lines hooked to the multiswitch,
give it a shot!

In prewiring a home, why not run two coaxes to
each TV and play it safe?

This would not be adequate for what you are proposing! You are telling him he needs three coax to each TV. Two for the HD-DVR, and one for OTA antenna.

I have just spent too
many afternoons fighting to get off-air DTV channels
when amps, diplexers, and 5X switches are involved.

Perhaps an investment in a signal strength meter would be in order. It's a good investment for a professional working on RF distribution.

My experience has been that without the meter, it's just a lot of trial and error. The cause of "too many afternoon fighting to get off-air DTV channels" is really lack of good tools.

DTV reception varies from house to house and some
can get away with using antenna with multiswitches,
and some can't. In general I just get better
results keeping switchers out of my antenna signal.

You have yet to explain how not using the multiswitch makes the OTA signal at the TV stronger. If you can have enough signal at the end of a coax to drive a single tuner, a good preamp properly adjusted, and a multiswitch will also get the signal there.

I hear way too much folklore, and supposed facts about RF transmission systems and coax on this site. They seem to evolve because someone hooked something up once a certain way, and had problems. This is usually accompanied with them not really understanding why they were having the problems.

Not trying to flame you. I'm only trying to get you to walk through the issues in your head. If you understand the concepts of transmission lines, I think once you try to explain why not using the diplexer is better, you'll discover there is no underlying science to back this up.

Hosting Services by ipHouse