The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday February 20, 2006 at 16:28
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 20, 2006 at 16:13, Peleliu said...
I have a Panasonic TC-32LX50 LCD HDTV and a
Scientific
Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box. After turning on
the TV, I have no control from the remote until
after 15-30 seconds.

The TV remote or the cable remote? It often happens that TVs won't respond right away, especially if there is a lamp to warm up. But LCDs shouldn't have that problem unless they are LCD rear projectors.

I found out from another
forum that the backlights in LCD monitors produce
a lot of IR noise when first coming on. This bounces
off the walls and back into the cable box IR sensor
and overrrides the Time Warner remote control
(Universal Electronics Atlas DVR/PVR 5-Device
Universal Remote Control) IR signal.

That's pretty interesting. Are you turning on the TV, or the TV and the cable box?

I can't change
anything on the cable box until the IR noise dies
down. Then it works fine.

Okay.

To fix this it has been suggested that I...blablabla
I tried all of these but the
RF remote with no luck.

Uh, what exactly was that last sentence? When you say you had no luck, you mean you moved the TV with relation to the cable box, say, to another room (it's easir to move the cable box for this trial)?

If the TV is spraying IR all over the room, the only one of those solutions that might help would be the layers of masking tape, but they might kill IR reception, too. If the TV puts out the same frequencies of light as the remote, blocking one will block the other.

Can
anyone suggest anything else I can do to overcome
this?

Yeah. Wait a few seconds.

Think of it as high technology that has to get all its voltages and such set up before you can use it. On integrated remotes like the RTI Ts+, I have used a screen that says "Please wait while the system turns on" with up to a twenty second delay for everything to settle down.

Alternatively, don't turn off the TV, move the cable box to another room and use an RF link, or get a new blanket plus an electronic blanket lift. I personally like that last idea the best. It will drive your cat nuts, though, when you turn the TV on.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse