The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday February 20, 2006 at 16:13
Peleliu
Lurking Member
February 2006
I have a Panasonic TC-32LX50 LCD HDTV and a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box. After turning on the TV, I have no control from the remote until after 15-30 seconds. I found out from another forum that the backlights in LCD monitors produce a lot of IR noise when first coming on. This bounces off the walls and back into the cable box IR sensor and overrrides the Time Warner remote control (Universal Electronics Atlas DVR/PVR 5-Device Universal Remote Control) IR signal. I can't change anything on the cable box until the IR noise dies down. Then it works fine. I have verified this by covering the TV screen with a blanket after which I can change the channels, etc. Since this only happens upon TV warm-up, it is difficult to diagnose, so I have to immediately turn the TV off to try different fixes.

To fix this it has been suggested that I put several layers of masking tape over the cable box IR sensor, turn down the TV backlight, reposition the TV relative to the cable box, or switch to an RF remote with an IR repeater mounted on the front of the cable box. I tried all of these but the RF remote with no luck. Scientific Atlanta doesn't respond to consumers technical questions directly and refers questions to the cable company. This is well beyond the ability of Time Warner. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to overcome this?

Hosting Services by ipHouse