The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 105 made on Tuesday November 21, 2006 at 18:14
newbury
Long Time Member
November 2006
Just a rebuttal to a response posted by Daniel in August. There are QAM capable ATSC PCI cards for PCs. Unfortunately for the poster, none that I know of will run under Windows. The pcHDTV HD3000 and HD5500 cards are PCI card tuners which will accept both OTA ATSC (SD/HD) signals and cable ATSC (QAM-256) signals. There are drivers now built into the Linux kernel for these cards (together with a large number of other cards which are not QAM256 capable).

I have Rogers Mississauga cable and the present setup is about 28 unscrambled (but QAM256 encoded) digital channels on the cable. I have the Rogers extended package ($50.) which gives about 75 analog channels as well. I record those with a Hauppauge PVR500 card.
Both cards are run/controlled by Mythtv, a free linux DVR software package. EPG is available from Tribune Media under 'zap2it.com'.

The digital channels are denoted under Mythtv by the frequency and the serviceid (or ProgramID)of the stream (not to be confused with the VideoID and AudioID numbers, I believe that the Pid, Vid and Aid are available through the setup sections of some tuners/boxes.

Early last week, it appears that Rogers changed the PID numbers of all of the digital channels: I suddenly lost the ability to tune any channels with the HD3000 card. A test scan reveals that although channels with the same frequency, Vid and Aid as before are still there, the Pid's have changed! I strongly suspect that your tuners/STB's use the PSP information to track the channels, so this would have been invisible to you, or almost so. Not to me!

Two things which would make your channel listing more useful, would be the inclusion of the cable channel, and, if available, the PID (plus VID and AID too if possible). As it is, I am about to sit down and tune about 120 channels, and attempt to match the stream with something on the EPG....Of course, half the CBC system shows the same thing at the same time! so this is a little frustrating at times!.

If anyone has questions, or ANSWERS! my email is [email protected]

Hosting Services by ipHouse