The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Monday October 23, 2006 at 15:08
William777
Lurking Member
October 2006
On October 6, 2006 at 15:35, Roger1818 said...

Unfortunately WWTI-DT[21] is broadcasting at 25kW and
WWNY-DT[35] is broadcasting at 135kW directionally south
so there isn't much hope of getting either of these in
Ottawa. WWNY-DT[35] has a construction permit to broadcast
at 1000kW, but it will still be directional south so I
don't know if we will be able to get it then. The cool
thing though is it is broadcasting WNYF (FOX) on its second
sub channel, so if we ever do pick it up, we will get
both channels.

The best hope we have is to wait until after the transition
period and see if they go full power digital on their
original channels. If we get really lucky they will licence
both WWNY and WNYF on separate full power DTV channels.

I believe I saw a posting in the AVS forums for the Watertown market that WWNY would not be implementing their CP for full power on channel 35, but will revert to digital on Channel 7 in Feb. 2009. I beleive that WNYF-CA has applied to broadcast digitally on 35, so that would likely be on low power, or at least with the same null to the north to protect CKWS-TV-3 channel 36 Smiths Falls (actually, between Smiths falls and Franktown).

All the Mount Mansfield stations (which now include WPTZ-DT Plattsburg) broadcast on channels used in Ottawa for Analog or digital stations (13,14,22,32,43), so even tropo reception is unlikely. (Except for WCAX-DT which is on 53 until the U.S. analog shutdown in 2009, when it will switch to WVNY's old analog channel 22)

The only chance for more DTV in the "North Country" would be if WPTZ owner HearstArgyle decides to set up a relay for WPTZ to replace lost coverage west of Massena. I'm not even sure if there is any lost coverage, since Mt Mansfield is higher than Terry Mountain where WPTS analog currently broadcasts from. Considering that the Watertown market makes do with NBC on cable only, even this is unlikely.

William
Nepean, ON

Hosting Services by ipHouse