The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday November 10, 2008 at 03:17
douglee
Long Time Member
March 2006
On November 8, 2008 at 02:51, Ernie Bornn-Gilman said...
I have no idea what those channels in your area were in
analog days. Here in Los Angeles, the PBS analog channel
was 28; the digital was different; at transition the digital
will change frequency, but it's going to be on 28.

From what I'm seeing in Los Angeles, this would mean that
23 was an analog channel; its digital equivalent, 23.1,
was on Frequency Assignment 51, but after transition the
digital channel will be on 23. And that 67 is now called
7.1. Is this what's happening, or are the stations going
to entirely new Frequency assignments that they've never
been associated with?

Sorry I was too vague for a non-local reader :-(
have a look at Daniel's map of the present channel allocations.
[Link: remotecentral.com]
It may help you understand this. Or just think of the Abbot and Costello who's on first routine :-)

7 analog is on digital 38 as 7-1. Digital is staying on 38 permanently.
67 analog is presently a sub-channel 7-2 on channel 38
In February, 67 analog is going to turn on their own channel 7 digital transmitter right after 7 analog shuts down. It is unknown if it will still be available on channel 38.
If the virtual channel allocations are not changed, we could end up with
7-1 on actual channel 38 and 67-1 or 7-2 on actual channel 7. These two stations are operated by the same company and will be transmitting from the same tower so likely any problems will be fixed rapidly.

23 analog is on 32 digital as 23-1. 51 analog is going to flash cut to 23 digital in February, leaving 51-1 or a second 23-1 on actual channel 23 and 23-1 on actual channel 32. These stations are separately owned and will not be on the same tower.
Confused yet? I think a lot of people and TV sets will be unless they switch to the actual channel numbers.

When Global 65-digital, 41-analog first went on the air testing, they were using a test generator putting out a virtual channel of 2-1. This disabled some people's reception of Buffalo channel 33, 2-1 paired with analog channel 2 because there were two stations identifying as virtual channel 2-1. Some receivers could deal with two channel 2-1s but others would get confused and not receive one or the other or maybe both. Global quickly changed their test generator in response to complaints.

Hosting Services by ipHouse