The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Monday October 13, 2008 at 23:34
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I just finally locked (11 pm) to the very first satellite after spending 3 days (making mistakes lol lol lol). It is AMC 5 @ 79W with only a few channels and only 5 active TP's now. I am using a 90cm Fortec Offset Dish, a GT Universal 0.2 dB NF LNB and a fantastic Coolsat 6000 premium. After failling using the SAT Finder I decided to use Wireless Headphones instead to listen to the signal meter on the FTA box. And in my opinion it is better than the Sat finder!!!. And forget a second person and a walkie talkie or cell phone. The key was listen carefully to the sound it made even when there was no signal. When there are only 1 or 2 bars it has an intermitent low frecuency sound like tac tac tac but when it gets 3 or 4 bars (even without a lock yet) you can notice that the frecuency of the tac tac goes down they are more spaced in time now , that means your close to your location.

One of my problems all weekend was that I was using the main install dish screen that has the LNB and Switch info and stuff , but with that one and most satellites I would have never locked to anything. So I decided to follow the previous list I posted and using the manual scan feature , I selected the strongest TP as per the list. I decided to lock to AMC 5 , 79W because it it located in the my same longitud therefore it is the heighest satellite in the Sky for me. 40 degrees Elevation. Even after locking using scan manual TP I went back to the main install dish it did not showed any lock , so use the manual scan and the strongest TP to aim your dish. After the blind scan (very important to have) the FTA box added a new active TP to the list , now AMC 5 has 5 TP instead of the 4 it came with. make sure update TP/CH is on in the menu options.

Second problem was the Elevation Scale on the freaking Fortec 90 cm Dish . It is off by 8 degrees !!!!!!!!!. I had to set it to 48 instead of 40 as per Dishpointer.com said. Well I agree that my pole it is not plumb I mean fully and perfectly vertical and maybe has a slight deviation eventhough the first thing I did was to make sure it was perfectly vertical with a magnetic level. But 8 degrees it is too much although for satellites very low for me like Hispasat @ 30W it is an advantage for me , maybe I will overcome the tree next time.

Dishpointer.com it is a very nice website to get your data and have an idea where to start and last but not least be very patient and Do it very slowlly with very small changes at a time and wait a few seconds for the signal.

I have not played with the LNB skew or Tilt to see the effect (AMC 5 for is 0.6 , almost 0) , now go to sleep that the long weekend is over, very long for me lol lol lol lol. Tomorrow after work I will search for Hispasat and the new Galaxy 18. then the hh90 motor.

Hosting Services by ipHouse