The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Thursday October 2, 2008 at 10:34
donnyjaguar
Long Time Member
January 2008
I'd like to be able to record HDTV shows also, but I haven't found a standalone PVR that a) doesn't include some paid-for service I don't want b) doesn't involve a computer c) is priced within the budget I allocate to activities that don't improve my physical fitness. :)

Near as I can tell all the USA network stuff can be had for free on FTA. The Canadian content is conspicuous by its absence. There's plenty of stuff on there you'd never find on OTA or a cable provider. Some is actually quite interesting coming out of the various universities. Truth be told, some of it I have no idea who the target audience is! If you're a news junkie, speak a foreign language or enjoy watching fringe religious programming Galaxy25 does not disappoint. I'm amazed that they're allowed to broadcast some of this stuff, but I guess that's freedom of speech in action. There are quite a few music/radio feeds available for free too, which suits me as I'm a musician. Its not for everyone, but judging by the calibre of staff vehicles at my local FTA dealer, business is very good. At lot of this is driven by the large ethnic communities in the Toronto area no doubt. See Galaxy25 above. There are a lot of "birds" up there now. They are in geosynchronous orbit and all operate on the same bands. Have a look at lyngsat.com to see. It takes a little while to figure out the mumbo jumbo, and granted it makes more sense when you have a system already set up. The Ku band is split into two parts. One requires a circularly polarised LNB where as the others call for a linear. You can tell by the transponder frequency which it is. To get everything calls for an LNB that will do both at the same time. See my 70$ above. Most LNBs can drive two separate receivers watching different programmes. Satellite receivers are available, at extra cost, with PVR built in. Including HD models.
Donny Jaguar

Hosting Services by ipHouse