The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1,573 made on Friday April 11, 2008 at 18:17
Biggy
Long Time Member
April 2008
On April 11, 2008 at 16:07, mr.eous said...
From a Canwest press release...

"The
digital transmitters are launching just as new episodes
of our viewer favourites return to the networks. We are
offering our viewers the best programming via the best
quality broadcast signals," said Barbara Williams, Executive
Vice President, Content, Canwest Broadcasting.

-- guffaw! sure, sure... they make it sound as if they
planned this, when they actually whined to the CRTC and
got multiple extensions over several years, before they
even bothered with OTA HD

It may only be me but I think there seems to be a distinct sense of passive aggression the way some of these Canadian stations and adopting digital broadcasting, weeks of test patterns instead of content, on and off broadcasting, miniscule powered transmitters, repeated requests for extensions, etc.

CRTC turning down applications for more HD stations is not good, I think there isn’t enough competition and only a few large players here in Canada are controlling the TV industry it is more like a monopoly and they can just push around the CRTC.

Look at the cell phone industry here in Canada the price for the service is very high compared to other countries. Last year while on vacation in China I noted everyone seem to have the latest and greatest cell phones. I ask a sales man what was the cost for cell phone service he told me full service was about 10 dollars US per month. As I see it, competition brings better pricing polices as well as more innovated products.

The Canadian TV networks and suppliers have a good thing going for themselves, sit back and collect monthly fees. They just have to force (Crying were not making enough profits, were poor) the CRTC to do what they want. I wonder if they ever think of new creative ways or new products in order to make more profits.

I am sure they are thinking, "Why should we kill the golden goose, lets make more money"

Hosting Services by ipHouse