The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 134 made on Thursday February 24, 2005 at 15:52
ontariocraig
Long Time Member
September 2004
Could well be that elm, sounds like it may be some kind of multipath issue anyways.

As far as the different locations between First Canadian Place and CN Tower - you're right, it essentially makes no difference, unless you're really really close to either of these locations.

Of course CBC, Toronto1 and City are broadcasting on different frequencies at different power levels, so the results are going different despite their transmission towers being "colocated" (well not literally colocated, but pretty close)

You only need to take a look at analog reception to get some idea of the potential problems : Toronto1 on analogUHF15 , CityTV on analogUHF57, Global on analogUHF41 (I think) - if point my antenna one way or another, one might come in fine, the others may come in, but with multipath or other artifacts. but at least with analog you can actually SEE the interference, even in a strong signal,

With a digital signal using the same UHF frequencies you cannot so easily see these kind of reception problems, even with a stong signal, these multipath or interference problems may and do exist, and will cause havoc with the digital signal, but the end result is: Instead of seeing snow / multipath / noise - as you would see on an analog signal - with digital it can be enough to corrupt the datastream and therefore no reliable data for your reciever to decode. so you may get an intermitent picture/sound, or nothing at all.

I suppose all we can do is wait unitil these services are gradually ramped up and the analog services phased out - as this happens we should hopefully see stronger signals and increasing reliability even in some areas that are currently intermittent in nature. maybe future generations of reciever hardware will have more sophisticated meters that give some indication of noise levels, multipath etc.. that will help us diagnose problems, but I guess that's just my wishful thinking which doesnt really help us right now.

Right now, I guess I'm lucky to get such reliable reception where my house/antenna is. who knows, I may find that if I move my antenna 3 feet in any direction it'll stop working. - well, if it aint broke dont fix it :-)

I feel your frustration though, as for me, and others who have posted here it's fairly hard NOT to recieve citydt. usually its the Buffalo channels that are the problem to recieve.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get better reception as they increase their power levels and devote more resources to digital transmission over the coming months and years.

Ontariocraig,

It sounds like your in a great spot!

There's a big American Elm between me and the
tower. Maybe its causing signal loss. It doesn't
seem to be causing any problem on the other signals.
I think your right concerning Toronto 1. For me
that wouldn't realy make any directional difference.

This message was edited by ontariocraig on 02/24/05 17:23 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse