The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Thursday July 22, 1999 at 23:51
Jim Fouch
Historic Forum Post
Hi Daryl!

Bad news on the Switchlinc - it does hum - sounds like Little Deuce Coupe in E flat to me -
I never noticed the hum because I use it to control a noisy NuTone bathroom fan, but if I put my ear next to it, I can hear a hum - whether this would bother one in a quieter environment is pretty subjective.

Folks complain about LCD screens humming, but I have to listen closely to hear them - part of this may be due to the fact that I spent a lot of years around noisy race cars and part may be due to my age - I was 65 three days ago.

As an aside, females around 18 have the best ability to hear high pitched sound and that ability falls off for both genders rather fast from what I have read by the age of 30.

Now, worse news, the switch won't operate the fan below about 50% power which I think would make it not useful for your needs - I use it because I don't like switches that don't have true rocker action nor do I like the ones with relays that click and it is also easier for guests if they all operate the same way.

If you have another spot in your house where you could move your existing fan and get a new one with a RF remote, that would probably be your best bet; otherwise, I don't know what to suggest.

I bought one recently with a three speed RF remote from a chain in Southern California called Lamps Plus for $130 and I expect that Home Depot carries such a device.

Cheers, Jim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse