Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday March 29, 2001 at 21:43
Jim Fouch
Historic Forum Post
I think your first decision is whether you want a standalone smart controller or a PC based system.

If the first, then I think your choice is between the JDS Stargate and the ADI Ocelot (plus expansion modules).

There are mailing lists for both where you can get additional information. For JDS products send email to [email protected]
And Future Standard maintains one for ADI products – visit http://www.futurestandard.com to subscribe to it.

If your choice is a PC based system, other folks here can give you advice about Homeseer and similar software. I don’t know how they handle relays, analog, or digital inputs but you can ask them.

I consider digital inputs important (I am using 15 of the 16 I have available and could use more) if for no other reason you can use hardwired motion sensors and dump the Hawkeye’s with their problems, not the least of which is putting a lot of chatter on the power line.

And both JDS and ADI have keypads – see [Link: jdstechnologies.com] for info on the LCD-96M Multi Menu Keypad.

I don’t know much about the ADI, Leopard touch screen but there is probably info about it at Future Standard. Btw, while the chap who runs Future Standard is very helpful, the company has had a number of unhappy customers, but a number of firms sell ADI products.

Other good sources for info on HA, besides Remote Central of course, are www.hometoys.com and the Usenet newsgroup comp.home.automation.

Opps - almost forgot - if you have a Sony megachanger be sure to visit www.nirvis.com and consider buying a Slink-e ---- great product.

Cheers, Jim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse