The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday February 11, 2004 at 16:29
spackletoe
Long Time Member
February 2004
Forgive me if this has been made clear in a message that I couldn't find.

Also, I'm new to this. So bear with me if I get some nomenclature wrong.

I just bought an IR543 controller and a XPD3 dimmer switch. I have a harmony SST-659 remote that's capable of shootin X-10 codes to the IR543. None of this is set up yet, but before I do, I wanted to make sure that I can use this equipment to do what I want to do.

Here's what I want to do:

I select the "watch a DVD" activity with my remote. It does it's thing and fires everything up like normal, but I want it to sent a signal to the IR543 to tell the lights in the room to dim to a certain pre-set level. Then when I pause the DVD, I want the lights to brighten to a pre-set level. And of course, when I press play, the lights should dim back down to the movie-watching pre-set level. I can handle programming for the remote codes. But what I don't know is X-10.

What equipment do I need that I don't have yet? A Maxi-controller? I've read the manuals for the PHC02 and it doesn't say a thing about scenes, which I assume this is. Do I do all of the light programming (setting and naming pre-set lighting levels) with the maxi controller and then have the IR543 tell it what to do (from the remote)? Am I right in assuming that without this maxi-controller piece of the puzzle, I can only dim and brighten the lights to certain levels? ...and something about them having to go full bright before they dim? I do NOT want that.

I was a little let down with the quality of the dimmer I got. It was cheap, sure, but it's pretty rickety. What's a better way to go, a plug-in lamp module, or a dimmer switch?

Thanks!

-spack

Hosting Services by ipHouse