The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday May 14, 2005 at 18:44
augusty
Long Time Member
July 2004
I have to wonder if all you guys above are employees of the models your support. These threads keep popping up from time to time and its the same ole thing.

My opinion:
jduncc - how in the world did you manage to get a working active home pro? I tried three units and they are crap! The user forum concensus is steer clear from active home and all of X10.com / wireless technologies stuff. That stuff is garbage. All of it. Its a great teaser to get you into home automation. But their death chip will run out at about 15months after purchase.

joesam - no problems? can you leave you 1132 plugged into a computer without it loosing time? And as many would say, the "linc" line of products is just more internet crap. They can't even spell the word link! And when Lights going on and off all by themselves, my first question is how many linc units are in your installation, its not the noise its the architecture of cheaply made devices sold to use with fancy website graphics by the appeareance of a large corporation.

cv27 - uhmm the homeseer, what powerline interface do you use with homeseer? Everyone I know stays away from homeseer because of the need to run your pc 7d/24hr/365days etc(forget that lingo)

treetop - elk? to new to me but don't you need a computer engineering degree to program it. and ocelot! ir interface is mandatory for any ht setup. That ocelot must be a workhorse, how long as it been arond without any upgrades. I guess it is still using analog technology!

Which leads us to Home Automation today - its about wireless control with changing rf signals and digital control. If I can get successful in this business (ha is 1/5 of what I design) I would make the jump to anything that is not more than 1 year old. That puts everyone out except for the elk, but no IR, eeks.

So the players that haven't answered: Windows Media Center with Hai's interface and switches; and simply automated Upb switches. To set up all you do is turn on your pc. Its like your whole house is plug-n-play. The computer finds the devices in your home and reports the information back to the pc. All you do is name them!

And my last project, the haunted house from hell, I pulled out every cheap X10.com and smarthome switch and replaced them with Leviton's DHC (the "D" should be digital but it is decora) product line with their exclusive Intellisense Technology along with the Toscana controller. The Toscana is sort of like a stand alone mini pc that only does x10 control a time clock that actually works and can receive ir and trigger scenes, timers etc, etc, it does everything we want the above products to do without have to have a master of computer engineering sciences degree.

ps - I have a ton of X10.com stuff for sale, anyone interested? I know this is not the forum to sell, but they do not work anyway. The deathchip was activated last month.

Whew - that was good to sound off, I hope I did not ruffle to many feathers. I had such high hopes for the AHP and the 1132's but I wasted so much time trying to get them to work for my clients. I have to admit my cm11a's are still chugging along, I have five, and I make changes for my clients I swap them out and use them again. I guess they came out before some idiot developed the deathchip technology.

And my wish list would be for Phillips to mege the timer control from the tsu6000 to that of the tsu7000. Then everything would be way cool and that would be the only product I install!
Friend of Bill and Dorothy

Hosting Services by ipHouse