Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday January 15, 2000 at 00:01
David B.
Historic Forum Post
Thanks, Dennis. That's exactly how I installed my dish the first time, on the roof of the old house. There it was simple, as the roof sloped to the south with a clear view, the receiver was in the room right beneath, and the cable only had to drop 1 story. I mounted the dish near the bottom edge of the roof and was in the house with less than 20ft. of cable.

On my new house, the roof still has a south sloping section, but because of trees the only clear-view place to mount the dish is near the peak ridge of the roof. From there the closest roof edge is 20ft. away, and the cable will need to drop 2 stories. If I could get directly into the attic, I'd have short cable runs and could feed to any room I wanted by pulling DSS cable up thru existing jacks and into the attic with existing cable. (I've already done this in two rooms).

I'm going to test the dish INSIDE the attic tomorrow. In one place, the only thing blocking the signal will be some venting slats with a little screen in front of them. In Kansas, I'm almost due north of the satellite, and am suspecting a strong enough signal. If it works in the attic, I'll be a very happy camper. If it doesn't, then a roof mount will mean 100+ feet of cable and some tacky thru-the-exterior wall cable runs. Very undesirable.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse