The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Sunday January 13, 2002 at 06:15
greve
Founding Member
May 2001
As pointed out above, there is a big difference between a 1:1 digital copy of a CD and "ripping" (i.e. load the music into a computer and then let some software convert the PCM signal music to e.g. MP3 signal music).

I'm talking about the potentially "purest" form of copying being the 1:1 direct copy of a music CD onto an Audio CD-R in a (Hi-Fi) CD Recorder.

I would sure appreciate more opinions on the topic. In the meantime I have provided a few links to reviews where "expert" Hi-Fi reviewers have mentioned that such copies are not perfect.

Test of various Audio CD-Rs and (Hi-Fi) CD Recorders:
[Link: hifichoice.co.uk]

Quote from test of TDK CD-RXG:
"From the opening bars of the first test track, the ability of CD-RXG to provide inherently smooth-sounding, richly detailed copies was obvious. Unusually, the analogue tape hiss audible on the (original) CD of Carmen Lundy's Better Days was seemingly less obvious on the TDK copy without denting the resolution and spontaneity of the percussive hi-hat. Intriguingly, our digital dubs sounded uniformly warmer and smoother than the original without appearing detrimental to the performance itself."
Full review on [Link: hifichoice.co.uk]

Quote from test of Philips CDR951:
"Recordings retained the qualities of the original discs from which they were made when played back through the Philips, and sounded very close even through the more analytical Krell test player."
Full review on [Link: hifichoice.co.uk]

/Allan

This message was edited by greve on 01/13/02 06:24.07.

Hosting Services by ipHouse