Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday January 13, 2002 at 04:57
Bruce Burson
Founding Member
October 2001
LarryTN:

When ripping, the software has to be carefully configured for optimal quality. The default settings on virtually every ripping software I've encoutered are optimized to compress the signal, giving you more songs per disc at the expense of reduced quality.

I've been told the software manufacturers assume that most ripping is done by "Walkman" users, who can't notice the degraded signal when listening through walkman-style ear buds and headsets.

When I rip an audio CD -- whether to WAV or MP3 or simply copying the Redbook file -- with the software set for top audio quality and no compression, I can't tell the difference between the source or the copy even when played back through my best speakers or headphones. Of course, my EARS aren't the greatest in the world... :)

greve, this also applies to your original post. Just one person's opinion, but I've never noticed media or recording speed to make an audible difference in a copy. The only exception is when the speed was so high that the buffer overran and the entire recording attempt failed (toss that disc and try again). When it works, it has always sounded the same to me.
Never confuse your career with your life.

Hosting Services by ipHouse