The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday February 28, 2002 at 19:54
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Jeff, to answer your first question, let me ask: What's wrong with having to crank the volume knob that far? Unless you can't get it as loud as you'll ever want it, it sounds like it's exactly where it should be. Max useable loudness should fall right around the 0db mark.

I have a total of 2200 cont. watts in my system, and I can just hit 0db with some program material, but I usually have it between -10 and -20. Believe me, I can't imagine it being louder than that.

As for making your own cables, once again, why? (Don't take that wrong; I'm a confirmed do-it-myselfer.) Except for speaker wires, I use pre-made cables. Sure, I could buy a spool of shielded cable and a bag of RCA plugs, but the time, and possibly even the cost, would not be worth it to me.

For speakerconnections, I got a spool of decent grade 12ga. wire, and then tinned (soldered), bent hooks, and flattened the ends.

Some people here recommend against tinning, as it makes the wire stiffer, but I believe that the solder flowing into the insulation strengthens the ends against breaking and fraying, and flattening the hook increases the surface contact area.

We love you, too. Keep the compliments coming! : - )

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

This message was edited by Larry Fine on 03/01/02 02:49.42.

Hosting Services by ipHouse