The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Wednesday November 19, 2003 at 04:45
bob griffiths
Founding Member
May 2002
When I first got a SPL meter I didn’t have a clue on how to use it. These instructions are for the Radio shack digital meter .

1. Place the SPL Meter at the listening position at ear level with the Microphone end pointed toward the ceiling. (A camera tripod helps to get it at the right hieght and to keep it steady and the Radio shack meter has the screw fittings for it)

2. Select “C” weighting, response slow then, turn the dB dial to 70.

3. Activate the internal pink noise generator often labeled just TEST or test tone of your Receiver/Amp and select manual test tone if it’s got one. Some just have auto which scrolls through each channel you then adjusts the levels. See your instruction book on your receiver/amp for details on how to do this.
The built in test signal is not always the most accurate way, that’s why we suggest using Test discs which have better, more accurate test signals but either way is better than not calibrating at all.

4. Now adjust each speaker to +75 dB reference ( I always start with the front left or right speakers to get the initial level some amps don’t have separate level controls for the front speakers except for the main volume control and balance control )get the front two speakers set to +75 dB then adjust the other speakers. When you are adjusting the surrounds make sure your body is not in a direct path of the speaker and make sure the house is quiet. When doing the calibration, only the test tone should be heard (A/C, ceiling fans, vacuum cleaners, Kids, Pets
Nagging wives etc. should be silent or turned off).

5. It is always tempting to turn rear effect speakers and subwoofers up to get a stronger effect my personal advice is don’t.

Hope this helps if anyone has a better way then please tell us.

Thanks BOB

This message was edited by bob griffiths on 04/06/04 09:58.

Hosting Services by ipHouse