The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday July 29, 2004 at 09:49
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Can you pull it out and swivel it, and then turn it on? That sounds like it might solve, or at least minimize, your problem.

Believe it or not, this is completely typical in sets over about 30", and is a result of the magnetic field of the earth, with a strength of about a half gauss (the magnetic field in a tweeter can be several thousand gauss), modifying the path that electrons travel in the TV tube. The bigger the tube, the more the earth's field can influence the (longer) travel.

When you turn the TV on, an internal degausser demagnetizes the tube (if it is not too magnetized). This makes it perform with no color problems as long as you do not rotate it. I am not sure just what part of the tube gets demagnetized, but the key is to turn it on after rotating it so that the tube is degaussed in its final orientation.

This problem is a bit unusual in a 27" TV, though, unless there is a speaker or something else nearby, where its magnetic field influences the picture tube.

I would hate to be turning a TV on and off like that. I guess it might be okay, but every turn-on does stress parts in the power supply (at least), and while those parts are made to put up with the stress of going off and on and being used, maybe you will overdo what can reasonably be expected of them. Carpal tunnel syndrome, for intance, is the result of using the hands and arms in a completely acceptable way, but too much with too little variation. This metaphor falls down with regard to variation, as you really can't turn the TV on or off differently to relieve stress, but otherwise, well, I wouldn't do it if I could avoid it.

Pull it out, then turn it on.

A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse