The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday September 7, 2004 at 01:33
ZEEK
Lurking Member
August 2004
I got a Yamaha HTR-5650 HT receiver. The receiver it replaced was a RCA STAV-3870 ( 5.1). For the RCA I had Sony 12" 3-way mains with dual Sony 4" centers(front and rear center) and sony 2-way 4"W with 1.5"T bookshelfs for the surround. For the RCA the sound was decent but nothing to brag about. I hooked up the Yamaha to the same speakers and pretty much realized that with a good receiver I can no longer get away with crappy speakers. Yes the Yamaha sounded much better but when I heard the later model at FRYs yesterday which has all of the same features as my 5650, I knew that something is missing.. SPEAKERS ARE MISSING!!! I know that Sony isn't the best and if I want better sound I may have to spend some money. The big question for me is, what matches up well with Yamaha? I think I want to buy a good set of surround speakers for it but also get some good mains for music as well. My question for those that either have Yamaha or just know, what is a good match for this receiver without having to spend a huge amount of cash for? I have been looking at some JBLs, BOSE, and infinity speakers but when I go to a place and hear them it is usually on a different receiver. What matches up well with the Yamahas? what is the best bang for the buck. I could skimp a little on the surround speakers and put up a little more for the *MAINS* but I want to stick with something better than "OK". I am looking to buy a complete 6.1 set of speakers and a good set of mains as well. Most bang for the buck. I do not want to spend $2k on speakers.

Thanks for looking..

-Z

Hosting Services by ipHouse