Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday April 19, 1999 at 12:19
RayT
Historic Forum Post
Your review was quite thorough and covered all the good points and bad points of this remote well. The fact that this remote has real buttons for most functions makes it so much easier to use by feel than the touchscreens. But this is also it's weakest point. The keys are labelled very poorly in the bottom half of the remote. I really have no use for keys like ALT, NEXT, FAV, DELAY+/- in my DVD, VCR, receiver modes. It would have been nice if they were labelled stuff that's more meaningful so you don't have to resort to those ugly stickers. I had lots of trouble sticking them on (I didn't stick them on the keys directly, but rather underneath them). It's hard getting them straight and aligned. The result is pretty cheap looking considering this is a $200+ (Cdn) remote. With this remote, there is little chance that any guests or even my wife will have luck operating my DVD, receiver, or programming my VCR without having me around.

The lack of DVD cursor keys is a big no-no in this day and age. I programmed five of the bottom keys to act like a cursor pad but they are really cumbersome to use (small keys, nondistinct location) compared to a dedicated cursor pad like that on my DVD or VCR remote.

Anyway, this is the one of the few choice in fully programmable remotes except for ones like the more expensive Marantz and the even more expensive touchscreens. I personally prefer the Marantz RC2000Mk2 more because it doesn't suffer from the labelling syndrome due to its customizable soft keys and real cursor pad. The Marantz is the remote I recommend to my friends if they are looking for an all-in-one solution.

If you compare this remote to its pricier competition, it looks like a bargain, but you can get a lot of bang for your buck from OneForAll Home Producer 8 or the amazingly cheap Cinema 7 remote ($17.00 Cdn at Costco)

Hosting Services by ipHouse