Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Wednesday December 13, 2000 at 15:53
The Robman
Historic Forum Post
Remotes like the 15-1995, 15-1935, 15-1925, URC-8090 and URC-9800 and have built in RF transmitters who's sole purpose is to communicate with the base unit. The idea being that you can use the remote from another room and it will control the devices in your main room, as long as the base unit is pointing to your devices.

There is an old RS remote, the 15-1919, that came with a base unit that was also an X10 converter box, but that remote has long since been discontinued. Also, just FYI, these remotes don't talk to each others base units. So you can have a 15-1995 and a URC-9800 set up and use them seperately, even though the base units look identical.

You are correct that the 15-1994 has 2k of memory, but I'm not sure how much memory the 15-1995 has. Also, I haven't taken the time yet to figure out the format of the memory banks of the 15-1995. Remember, although this remote looks like a 15-1994, it has a completely different IC chip inside.

Also, while the device code info does appear to be the same regardless of what remote it is in, the protocol info is completely different, leading us to believe that it may be machine code. If you wish to set up a new device code that uses a standard IR protocol, this is no problem as you simply refer to the protocol by whatever name that it's known by in the remotes memory (the protocol names are also consistent across remotes, which is usefull). But, if you want to set up a device code that uses a new protocol, which is the case with the Replay code, then you also have to add the protocol to the remotes memory. The protocol code for ReplayTV is transplantable between the 15-1994, the Cinema 7 and the various OEM remotes (such as the original ReplayTV remote), but you can't transplant it to remotes such as the 15-1995 and the URC-9800, or even the old 15-1925.

I will eventually take a look at the memory of the 15-1995/URC-9800 and come up with a memory map. I have had the Replay code added to my URC-9800, so I will probably be able to transplant it to the 15-1995, but I haven't tried that yet.

If you would like to see some examples of memory dumps, email me and I'll send you some, which you can then compare to the memory map info on my site.

Once you see how the 15-1994's memory is configured, maybe you'd like to be the one to document the format of the 15-1995/URC-9800 memory. Otherwise, I'll do it eventually, but the 15-1994 is my primary focus for now.

If anyone reading this thinks they might be able to reverse engineer some machine code, please email me and I'll send you some examples.

Rob.

Hosting Services by ipHouse