Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Thursday May 27, 2004 at 13:43
The Robman
Loyal Member
August 2001
Ron,
You have really confused the issue my throwing in alot of incorrect terminology.

1) SETUP CODES.
These are the codes that you use to program your universal remote, eg VCR/1234 or TV/0246, etc. Each remote manufacturer will use their own set of codes, so if VCR/0060 is the right code when you use an OFA remote, it would necessarily be the right code when you use a (let's say) Zenith remote.

The fact that RS and OFA use the same setup codes is not a coincidence, these remotes are made by the same company (UEI).

2) DEVICE CODES
These are the codes that are built into the infrared signals themselves. Ordinary remote users would know nothing about these codes, nor would they need to know.

3) DISCRETE CODES & ADVANCED CODES
Using an OFA/RS remote, you can generate discrete codes by using "advanced codes", but you first need to have found a working "setup code". "Advanced codes" and "discrete codes" are different concepts. An advanced code is a number in the range 000 thru 255 (numbers over 255 are simply repetitions of the lower codes, so yes, 256 will send the same signal as 000, etc) that you can use to generate infrared signals. These signals could be for regular functions, like TAPE SPEED, they could be discrete codes or they might do nothing at all.

Delysid, I've skipped over some of the posts so I'm not sure if you've actually found a One For All remote yet, so if you haven't, that's definitely the way to go. Don't waste your time buying "cheap" remotes in the hope that some regular button just happens to send the same signal as your SPEED button, because it will be a pointless journey.

Here's what you need to do...
1) Get a One For All remote
2) Find a setup code that works your VCR
3) Look up the advanced codes for that setup code on my site and see if I have the TAPE SPEED code listed
4) Program it to a button and test it.

If you can't find an OFA remote locally, I can sell you a URC-8811, which is an 8 device learning remote, for $19 plus $4 shipping to Canada.

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com
Rob.
[Link: hifi-remote.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse