Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday May 27, 2004 at 10:31
Ron Aronson
June 2002
I may not answer all of your questions in the following, but hopefully I will inform you enough to help you figure out most of the procedure.

1. The device code is the code listed in the instructions for your remote to load a particular brand VCR (for example) to the VCR device key. When you set up your remote, you look in the table for a GE VCR, get the code, and follow the instructions for loading that device code. If it works, fine, if not, you try another device code, if there is one listed.

After you get the device code loaded and working, you are ready to access the discrete codes. It is confusing because many times the people who set up the discrete codes used the device code from the vcr as the SETUP code for the discrete code listing. They may be the same numbers, but they do different things.

When you go to [Link: hifi-remote.com], you first go to the setup codes, find the codes for your brand vcr, and then go to the advanced code list, where you use the setup codes you found to access the listings of discrete codes. If there is more than one listing, you can check them all until you find a code that works for you.

When you find the code you want to use, you use your RS/OFA remote to send it to the component (vcr), or to a learning remote, by pressing set (or setup) and then the 3 digit code. This sends a discrete code signal.

2. The 3 digits of the discrete code are unique to the component, and sometimes even to a particular model number of that component. Discrete code 111 for a vcr is not the same as 111 for a tv or 111 for a dvd, or even for a different brand of any of these, etc.

So 512 on a Sony vcr, when pressed, would only work on the Sony vcr, because you would have to press
another key where you have loaded the Panasonic vcr device code, and then press 512, which would then do what is specified for a Panasonic vcr.

Rather than write on and on and risk more confusion, I am going to let you work with this, and then ask any more questions you might have.

To sum up:
1. Even though device codes and discrete codes may look the same, they do different things, so forget about similarities and treat them as two distinct entities.

2. Go to the Setup Codes in the link above, write down all for your GE VCR.

3. Then, go to the Advanced Code List, go to VCR, and open one of the codes you have written down. Check the list and pick out what you are looking for; if not there, keep checking lists until you find one or run out of lists.

4. Load the DEVICE code into your RS/OFA remote, and check to see if it operates your VCR. If it does, even minimally, go to the next step.

5. Press setup or set, press the 3 digit code you have selected, and see if it works.

Good luck and I think I will be hearing from you again, hopefully with a shorter message (lol).

Ron

Hosting Services by ipHouse