Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Wednesday May 26, 2004 at 08:43
Ron Aronson
June 2002
Note: After I wrote the following and sent it in, I realized I had better check your profile to see where you are located, and found out you are in Canada, so if you cannot find any of the remotes I mention below, we will try and find you one which you can get in Canada which will get you discrete codes.

First thing, you are confusing SETUP codes with DEVICE codes. Device codes are the codes you use in your universal remote to assign a particular brand of TV, for example, to the TV key on the remote. This can be 2, 3, or 4 digits, depending on the remote. I can see why you are confused, because in this case the setup codes and device codes are similar, but they are really two different things.

Setup codes are the codes used for OFA/RS remotes to access discrete codes. To use them, you have to assign a device code to the vcr key which will then operate your vcr.

I missed the “speed” discrete code on 0060, which is 512, so you could use that, or try the 0048 code, which is 205. There is no guaranty that either will work on your vcr, but one of them should. Discrete codes run from 000 to 255, and then start over again, so 000 is the same as 256 and 512, etc.

Now, here is the procedure for accessing the discrete code.
1. Get an OFA 8810/8811 (same remote) at Walmart or other store, or a Radio Shack 15-2116. The 8810 is cheaper and easier to use, so I recommend you try and get one of them.
2. Load the DEVICE code into the vcr key. Coincidentally, both OFA and RS remotes use similar device codes, which are 0060, 0035, etc. Just load any one which operates your GE VCR.
3. Remember, these DEVICE codes are not the same as SETUP codes, even though they have the same numbers assigned, so separate the two in your mind as two distinct numbers, so you won’t be confused.
4. After you get the remote to operate your vcr, you then press the SET button on the 8810 (the 2116 is different, so read the instructions). Then you press the 3 digits for the discrete code (either 205 or 512), which will send a signal to the vcr, which should then change the tape speed.
5. If you want to, you can retain this command in the 8810 by using the key-move procedure. I won’t go into that here, but when you get your remote, let me know which remote and I can explain further.

If the tape speed is not in the menu, then there is no other way to change it without using a discrete code, since there are no universal remotes with tape speed included in them.

There is no alternative to using a RS/OFA remote, since these are the only ones which will access discrete codes.

This has all been a little tricky to answer since you posted 3 replies, some of which had similar questions in them, but I am trying. As for number (3) in your reply numbered (8), I will repeat that the vcr device code has nothing to do with the setup code, so finding a vcr with a “device” code that assigns discrete codes 000,256, or 512, will not work because the device code is not the same as a setup code.

Hope I didn’t get you more confused, and don’t hesitate to ask more questions if you need to.

Ron

Hosting Services by ipHouse