Original thread:
Post 6 made on Wednesday May 26, 2004 at 01:58
Delysid
Lurking Member
May 2004
On 05/25/04 14:17, Ron Aronson said...
Do you not have a menu option for changing tape
speed?

No, that's the crazy thing about this unit. I have the original manual and it says the same thing that I have discovered myself by working through every possible menu choice -- there is no way to change the tape speed except with the button that was on the original remote control. Even when you're programming a timed recording, you set the speed with remote control.

Talk about a design flaw!

But just as maddening is the absence of a button to change tape speed even on high end universal remotes, even ones made by RCA, which is the same company as GE (the brand of this VCR). When I went back to the electronics store today I asked this time about getting a universal remote that could change tape speed, and the guy there just shook his head and said that none of them can. It's crazy!

It's not like changing the tape speed is an obscure function -- it's treated prominently in the manual. If I had the original remote I could teach the command to a learning remote, but then the whole problem here is that I don't have the original remote.

I've tried pushing all kinds of combinations of buttons on the VCR itself to see if there is a secret combination that can change the tape speed, but so far no luck. I have however managed to acquire invincibility, endless ammo, and the ability to walk through walls! (Just kidding, a video game joke....)

I'll have to look into this "discrete code" thing. Thanks for the feedback and let me know if anyone thinks of anything else!

If I manage to come up with a solution, I'll post it as I'm sure others will come here with the same problem.

Hosting Services by ipHouse