The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday May 25, 2004 at 07:55
Delysid
Lurking Member
May 2004
I just got a GE VCR (model VG4254) built in 1995 from a friend. There appears to be no way to change the tape speed (sp, ep, slp, etc.) except with the speed button on the remote control, which is long missing. I got an entry-level RCA universal remote which works but doesn't have a button for changing the tape speed. Even in the onscreen menus you can't change the tape speed -- the VCR manual tells you to use the original remote control's speed button. And there is no button on the VCR itself for changing the tape speed.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of a universal remote that can change the tape speed? Since I don't have the original remote, I can't teach the code to a "learning" universal remote. Will "advanced codes" do the trick, and if so, how do I know if a universal remote can accept "advanced codes"?

2) I don't really need a remote control except to change the tape speed from the unit's default SLP (slowest speed) to SP. Does anyone know of a way to do that on such a VCR without a remote? Like, is there some secret VCR repair-person trick that does it? (I don't know, I'm just hoping there might be some secret trick like holding down the record button or something crazy like that -- you never know!).

GE VCR's are also sold under other names, such as RCA and ProScan, so if you know any tricks that work with those models, it might work with mine, especially if it's a similar vintage (1995).

Thanks!

Hosting Services by ipHouse