The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday May 12, 2005 at 12:35
alfaman
Founding Member
November 2001
Both the Toshiba DVD and the US Digital HD receiver box use a very common IR remote control protocol usually referred to as "NEC format". In this protocol, part of each command transmission from the remote contains an address value which is unique to each manufacturer and device type. That is specifically so that multiple remotes using the NEC encoding scheme can co-exist.

My guess would be that your Winbook TV also uses NEC or a similar format, but that for some reason its IR receiver is not properly evaluating the address field and screening out commands intended for other devices. I have seen this type of problem before, so while rare, it is not unkown.

Unfortunately, if that guess is correct, purchasing a universal remote won't change anything. Your TV is going to continue to respond inappropriately to DVD and tuner commands no matter what remote they come from. My advice would thus be to first contact Winbook customer service and describe the problem, asking if they have a firmware upgrade or something which fixes it. Failing that, you can try to arrange your equipment so the IR receiver window on the TV is physically screened from the DVD and tuner remote commands.

Hosting Services by ipHouse