Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Tuesday February 23, 1999 at 16:00
Spec
Historic Forum Post

Daniel, I didn't claim the Pronto was the perfect remote, and I've made my objections about that remote known in the Pronto forum. I agree the page scrolling is annoying, but it is a trade off for the lighter feel and compact size; something the ladies can hold on to too. I also think the Pronto is somewhat overpriced, but it can be had for $299. That is no bargain, but its a fair price for bringing sanity back into a home theater.

While I can't argue with your support for AV2000, your arguments in support of the AV2000 are a bit specious IMHO. The fact the AV2000 came out a year before the Pronto adds nothing to the fact the AV2000 is not a very well thought out remote. The predecessor of the Pronto, the Marantz RC2000 was out a year before the AV2000, and it is much more versatile.

The price point argument sounds good, but there are a few Universal/Learning remotes out there in the $75-150 range that do pretty much what the AV2000 does. The Home Director 8 and the Rotel are just two off the top of my head. I wouldn't expect the AV2000 to compete with the Pronto head-to-head, feature for feature, however, given the AV2000's msrp of $175, I would expect to at least have the ability to edit the button names, and add missing buttons to the preset template. Even the RC2000 has this feature.

As for the backlight, I agree it is bright. Unfortunately it doesn't compensate for the cheap low contrast screen on the AV2000. The Game Boy has sharper screen. If you notice the AV2000 doesn't even have the traditional contrast adjustment wheel.

If someone just wants a new toy, the AV2000 might be OK. However, for someone who wants a user friendly remote for their home theater the AV2000 is not the remote they want. They'd be much better off finding an original RC2000 on liquidation somewhere, or like I suggested earlier, forking out the bucks and getting a Pronto or RC2000MkII.

Hosting Services by ipHouse