Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday October 14, 1998 at 12:26
Jon
Historic Forum Post
I called the 800 number on the RCA website for technical questions re: DSS. I was told that the remote for my 5451 system (dual output) puts out **BOTH** IR and UHF. I was told that if you don't connect the little 6" coax wire remote antenna to the back of the reciever, the reciever will look for IR signals, not UHF (sounds fishy and more complicated than necessary to me). The single line DSS systems are IR-only. Yes, the UHF is so your remote can work thru walls. Luckily, it *sounds* like the pronto (and other universal IR remotes) can learn DSS commands. I currently have a cheap Yamaha learning (IR) remote) and I will test it tonite. Will post results tomorrow.

Looks like we are OK.

Has anyone found decent prices on prontos on the web?n Where can I get a list of dealers? I wasn't able to find anything about the pronto on the Philips website.

On the other hand, if the pronto could learn UHF, you could sneak around and learn all of your neighbors garage door codes and maybe even their keyless entry remote codes!! (are those UHF???)

Jon Maddux

Hosting Services by ipHouse