Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday December 3, 1998 at 14:55
George Mills
Historic Forum Post
I agree (or should I say I understand) many of your points but here is my 2 cents.

The 4x5 Grid with 24 icons is better than a fixed array of templates IMHO (calculate out how many templates that is 20 digits Base 24 !!!). Either remote may have similar capabilities. My guess (looking at it from a software engineers point of view) is that the 4x5 grid with 24 bitmaps was a very smart and simple way to achieve, basically, an infinite amount of templates with out having to create a huge array of templates (as Pronto did). It likely can be changed to allow a wider array of icons (double width buttons etc.) just as the pronto will likely allow custom templates. They each chose a reasonable solution but at the moment, although the Take Control might not look as slick without double size buttons it sounds much more customizable. They will probably both improve.

Can't argue on the back light but I'd like to see both with my own eyes before I say the Take Control has a poor light.

Everyone wants a few hard buttons. I don't want to hold my finger down on the screen for a long fast forward. They both chose wisely to add a couple general purpose buttons. Everyone who has commented on the Wheel has had positive comments about it.

You have to be careful with first impressions. For example Toshiba makes this magnesium super light weight laptop that looks and feels slicker than you you know what. They also have thick heavy clunky laptops. One has a CD-ROM the other doesn't. I'll take the clunky one with the CD-ROM thank you.

Lets make sure we understand what each remote can do regardless of how slick they may look to the eye or feel to the hand. If they are indeed pretty equal then go for the one you feel is slicker.
Slickness does count for something though.

Hosting Services by ipHouse