The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday November 25, 1998 at 21:13
Clay W.
Historic Forum Post
Hi,
In a previous post, I noted that Philips said Pronto software was in Beta test. Jack Schultz also noted that he was participating in the Beta test. The question I have is how much can the Pronto interface be changed with the software? In other words, which protions of the interface are hardware dependent, and which protions are software dependent?

Presumably, if the Pronto processor is basically a CPU, all functions could be manipulated with software. I know PDAa (personal data assistants) will accept software from third party manufacturers. Hence, if the Pronto can be programmed in much the same way, market forces would indicate that third party software could become available for the Pronto as well.

If this turns out to be the case, I suspect we could see all sorts of special features and advanced programming for the Pronto. Even though I do not yet have a Pronto (but have ordered one from Metronet), I am hopeful that new software could push the Pronto's interface even closer to the interface of controllers offered by Crestron, Lexicon, and AMX.

Does anyone know more? Any thoughts?

Clay W.

Hosting Services by ipHouse