The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Thursday March 9, 2023 at 14:38
SWOInstaller
Select Member
October 2010
On March 7, 2023 at 11:00, punter16 said...
We have a remodel we are on where there is a 2nd level kids' room that is used for gaming, hang-out, etc. The homeowners want to cut down on sound through the floor. We don't have the opportunity to put anything in the walls...just the underlayment for the floor.

Any ideas for methods to cut down on sound transfer? I'm sure that both high and low frequency are desired. We had used Dynapad on a job before and it did a good job but I'm interested to know if others here have better ideas (Quietboard, other materials, etc.).

Thanks!

By underlayment are you referring to anything on top of existing sub floor?

Can you remove the subfloor and add safe and Sound insulation into the floor joists below?

If so then I would start there and follow Bob's recommendation of multiple layers of sub flooring, first layer glue and screwed to joists, next layer either with some type of glue/rubber separation so it will help absorb more of the sound (ensuring you lay second layer opposite of first to minimize overlapping joints), then a good thick carpet padding then a thick carpet.

Adding sound absorbing materials to walls will help as well. Any windows use floor to ceiling drapes as opposed to inset window blinds, try and get some cool canvas artwork to add to walls as it will also help any sound transfer.
You can't fix stupid

Hosting Services by ipHouse