Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 38 made on Monday September 27, 2021 at 17:42
buzz
May 2003
PI is a tiny computer. It’s a tool. We each have a collection of tools that we regularly use. Someone who has access to a machine shop will use a lot less duct tape than someone who uses simple hand tools. Electricians have a bag of wire nuts, I have a soldering iron and crimps. We might have one dull saw. A cabinet maker will have a collection of sharp saws. He can fit a countertop in minutes, we’ll probably struggle for hours.

In one case I threw together a single board computer controller for a project that could probably have been done with time delay relays, latching relays, NE555’s, flip flops, and a little logic. Since I had the computer, EPROM burner, and a programming system on hand, similar to the machine shop guy, I had the controller ready for deployment in a few hours. This was much less elapsed time than would have been required to design, scrounge parts that were not on hand, build, and test a Rube Goldberg sort of controller. And, I needed the controller the next day. Multiple inputs and outputs, timers, logic, and management for power up and power failure were easy in the program. This was way before the PI existed.

Hosting Services by ipHouse