The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday September 23, 2021 at 08:23
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 22, 2021 at 20:15, mrtristan said...
About to meet owners of a new Yoga studio to talk about sound. I imagine they are going to want to teach a class and be able to talk on a microphone to participants.

So far I think they will need a wireless mic, mixer and a couple of speakers. Room is about 20' x 30'.

Looking for suggestions on equipment and speaker placement. What I had in mind.

-Shure wireless headset system
-Small mixer
- 2 JBL powered speakers on wall

Is there a simple powered single line array speaker that can be placed high in the room that might create more clarity and better coverage in a room. What about one of those JBL line array column/subwoofer systems that street buskers use? That could be an easy solution that includes a mixer with bluetooth. I've heard that these line array columns are less prone to feedback, which would be a bonus.

20' x 30' is pretty small to need line array speakers and the single column speakers I have heard didn't have wide enough dispersion to cover 20' OR 30' of width. It's yoga, not Woodstock and the SPL won't be very high.

I did a yoga studio that's close to the same size and since their budget was very small, I decided that setting their expectations at a realistic level would be the first step in the process.

The equipment used is:

- Dayton MA-1240 power amp, with 10 channels used for the main room (five pairs, bridged) and two channels for the yoga studio.
- Polk Atrium speakers (one of the larger pairs), mounted to the wall at the front of the room. The room is acoustically live, so everyone hears the sound well and the SPL is moderate.
- Rolls MX-153 mixer, mounted in the wall with the face flush with the surface in the yoga studio- this is set to operate in mono because there's no reason for stereo.
- BT receiver and a 3.5mm cable for using a phone or tablet as the source, with a wooden tray to hold it when they don't want to carry the piece.
- Wireless mic of their choice- don't remember which brand, but they have killed a few in the main room, from sweat.
- One channel of a Behringer stereo 15 band EQ with feedback killer, set up by using REW and pink noise.

The SPL is high enough and the frequency range is wide enough that one of the HVAC diffusers was rattling.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Rolls mixers- I didn't expect much, but they have worked very well.

In a space like that, consistent SPL is a great thing to have and more speakers would provide more even coverage might be something to consider- some kind of pendant speaker might work. I would be surprised if the system operates at more than 2W on a regular basis, but that only applies to a place that's used strictly for yoga- if they decide to use it for HIIT (High Intensity Interval Trailing) or spinning classes and need more energetic announcements, more power would be an obvious need.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse