The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 42 made on Wednesday September 15, 2021 at 14:09
SWOInstaller
Select Member
October 2010
On September 14, 2021 at 22:30, internetraver said...
As a long time Ubiquiti basher, I have to disagree with some of the Ubiquiti bashing going on here.

The network equipment has (finally) come a long way.  Like anything else in our industry, don't buy the cheapest shit available and the product will work as advertised.  The cloud access is going in the right direction (even if it's not entirely accurate).  It's probably just the tech nerd in me but I love being able to pull up any of my clients site's and know (almost) exactly what is going on and what needs to be done to troubleshoot a problem.  Occasionally sure, a reboot of network equipment will solve a problem but let's not pretend this is only a Ubiquiti problem (or network problem at all).  At some point or another, everything needs a reboot.

So on to the surveillance equipment.  It's pretty damn good.  The app is pretty damn fantastic for finding events quickly and overall general usage.  The analytics are just getting going but they are pretty damn spot on  (occasionally my dog shows up as a person).  It's almost like nest made the app but a professional make the equipment.......Isn't that what we want after all?   I've heard the issues of condensation but haven't experienced it myself.  The added benefit of having the NVR built into the firewall is a massive plus for my clients.  If you want bigger, the option is available.  I have a handful of  the 4 bay NVR's with 32Tb of redundant storage in the field and I have zero problems.
For me, it took a lot of "test sites" to feel confident with UBNT on the surveillance side but I would say out of 30-40 cameras out there, I have zero issues.  For the record I have years of experience with other surveillance products available.....Bring up Luma (or old school shitbox wirepath)....I effin dare you!  LOL, been there done that with many brands.  I still recommend other brands most of the time because they are the right fit for the project.  UBNT doesn't have PTZ cameras (well, none that can auto track) or fisheye cameras (I know, I know), or multi lens cameras quite yet.  But for a basic residential job..... not bad!

I've been using their product since they were just a "long range" radio.....long before they were a home network or surveillance product.  Believe me, as a Mikrotik and Ruckus user for years (still on projects that need them), I fought Ubiquit for years.  If you can get over the hurdle of "how it works", you'll be alright with their product.

Another quick side note, put the app on an Apple TV and you now have surveillance on a clients TV WITHOUT HDMI extenders or a matrix.  For those clients without an ATV, get a viewport from them.  Plug in a POE and HDMi and all the cameras are on the TV.....Scarface style!

The other big issue with UBNT surveillance is you have to use their cameras and they don't play well when trying to get them onto a touch panel or something else, nor do they play well with a third party recorder. I am not against UBNT surveillance, they just need to improve their qc and start playing well with others (ONVIF certified would be huge). I also think their pricing is too inflated for their cameras. They are almost priced in comparison to Hanwha but with components of low cost hikvision. I can provide customers a way better camera (lens, quality, WARRANTY) at about the same price. Yes they have some really cost effective cameras that DIYers rave over. I am not a DIYer and am trying to make some money and selling a $50 WIFI camera that has little to no margin is not making me money.
You can't fix stupid

Hosting Services by ipHouse