Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Saturday July 3, 2021 at 16:55
buzz
May 2003
Automation can be great in large, complex estates or to manage remote cottages, but I don't see much point in complex automation in apartments.

Personally, I don't need to drag out a phone/pad to turn on a light or two. Complex thermostats are handy and it would be nice to be notified if the basement is filling with water, but this does not require an automation system.

My big complaint with these systems in general is that we cannot support the systems for very long before something becomes obsolete -- such as a phone/pad operating system, custom keypad/controller, or the basic central processor.

---

I'm so lucky that a beach house was recently sold. We once had a very appropriate system installed there, but the controllers started failing and could not be repaired or replaced with anything appropriate. The original system concept could not be recreated with current hardware. The former owner and I agreed to tell the new owner that the system is EOL and the new owner should not call me. Depending on the new owner's concept, the system could be replaced with a bunch of voice controlled wireless cable boxes. Giving up DVD, video games, pop-up TV, Karaoke, satellite radio, and custom hardware touch screen controllers.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that it is almost 100% component video in the walls. And about two hours of driving, one-way, during non peak hours.

It's not a total loss because there is plenty of CAT-5, but everything except a couple new TV's and an A/V receiver needs to be replaced.

Hosting Services by ipHouse