Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Sunday April 18, 2021 at 10:43
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
there are several stuff in the discussion

1) On a personal note I have a land line and prefer it when talking for a long time so I will probably always have one at home, used with a cordless phone (and a corded one in case it is needed)

2) Very rarely my land line has had no service for a very short time and very rarely my cell has been dead for a very short time, I don't see either as more dependable.

3) As far as 5g is concerned who care, 5g, 4g, 6g.... all need a charged phone that works and a cell tower that works I don't see the difference.

4) as for starlink, I see it more like a problem then a solution to anything (compared to standard GEO satelite systems).

The benefits are
1) less latency (how fast a signal gets from A to B)

minuses
1) you need a lot more satellites to cover the same area (lower height means less range on earth)
2) the life expectancy of the satellites is much shorter (because they are low orbit air friction will play a much bigger role and so its carburant which is limited supply will end up getting used up faster)

If latency is critical for the usage and those microseconds count then it is not a bad idea, but because of the minuses it will always be a much more expensive solution then what is there now for them. Is it likely to help move rural hard to reach places to go high speed? probably not. IMHO it is just Musk taking advantage of the system (get gouvernment grants to bring high speed to rural/hard to reach spaces, pay space X to send satellites into orbit, use the system he is building for himself and some corporate clients where latency is important, people in rural hard to reach places don't sign up because it is too expensive to use)

Hosting Services by ipHouse