The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Sunday January 10, 2021 at 09:46
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 8, 2021 at 12:00, buzz said...
I don't like them for home, but they are a reliable and consistent over the years.

Comments that I've encountered made by studio people is that after a long day at the console you need something that screams at you in order to pick up issues. I've heard similar comments about some of the JBL's.

I don't think ANYONE actually likes them. I listened to them at my friends' studio and had an immediate reaction to the sound- harsh. OK for some stuff, but not if it has a lot of cymbals.

I was in a studio during the recording of some basic tracks and they had B&W 801 as their main large monitors- sounded dry, almost like they had a phase problem.

Needing speakers that scream by the end of a day when mixing is dangerous. I have only heard the opposite- everyone likes speakers that DON'T cause hearing fatigue. JBL studio monitors definitely have a 'sound' of their own and in the '70s, that's what they wanted- it really makes the tracks sound like real instruments. However, that's for getting the sound for the tracks, mixing and until they found better speakers for the application, mastering.

Two examples of well-known studios that have a mix of speakers (check out the artist lineups)-

Air Studios
[Link: airstudios.com]

Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios-
[Link: realworldstudios.com]
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse