Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Sunday December 20, 2020 at 09:49
buzz
May 2003
On December 18, 2020 at 15:21, Ernie Gilman said...
For reference you should check to see if there's infinite resistance between all conductors on the input of the baluns and all conductors on the output. That means the balun is a ground isolator, which is the most straightforward way to have no noise from ground loops.

Maybe. I recently encountered an ancient, monster system in a house that consists of multiple B&O Master Link systems, TV's, CD players, and a wall of VCR's on modulators -- all interconnected. There was a vicious ground loop in one room and lessor loops in other rooms. In the vicious room someone had installed a ground loop isolator (that's what it said on the small utility box case). Their idea of "isolator" was series capacitors. This would satisfy the "infinite resistance" test, but it was not very effective as a ground isolator in this situation. We replaced this thing with a Jensen transformer isolator. While this did not eliminate the minor loops in other rooms, the customer could live with the result. If I attempted to cure all of the loops, I'd probably still be crawling the house, looking for units built into hidden cavities and installing a dozen or more isolators.

This guy loves 'complicated'. That wall of VCR's is a tangled mess of VCR's receivers, modulators, switch boxes and who knows what else. I refused to touch that wall.

At some point he may come to his senses and modernize. Money was never an issue. However, I'm not sure if a modern system will be 'complicated' enough to operate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse