The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday December 5, 2020 at 15:56
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I just put a commercial CD into my computer. Windows Media Player shows each cut, with name and time.

Looking at the disc Properties with Windows Explorer, the disc has 0 bytes Used space, 0 bytes Free Space, and 0 bytes Capacity. The disc's files, the same in number as songs on the CD, are named with the pattern Track01.cda, Track02.cda, etc. Date and time of 12/31/1994 is given for each cut, but this disc is a new release of old Dave Brubeck cuts, copyright 2020. Each of these files is shown as 1 KB in size. If you click anywhere on the info line of a track, Windows Media Player will open and play the file.

Along with all that, the fact that clicking on a file in Windows Explorer causes Windows Media Player to open tells me that you cannot just copy an audio file onto a hard drive and have a hope in hell of it playing.

I believe some kind of authoring software is needed, that the player uses to prep the file for proper recording, and also for playback. If this is so for audio files, it's probably also so for video files.

EDIT: I ripped it. Windows Explorer shows that it takes up 735 MB of WAV files.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on December 5, 2020 16:23.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse