Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday November 28, 2020 at 09:41
buzz
May 2003
If all of the stations are in the same direction a fixed yagi in an attic space is effective.

Analog TV reception degrades slowly while conditions, such as multi-path and signal strength deteriorate. At some point with analog the user decides that the picture is not good enough for a channel and conditions can vary by time of day. Digital, on the other hand is all or nothing and the threshold between perfect or nothing is very sharp.

When all of the channels are UHF, smaller antennas can be effective. Low band VHF channels can be a pain because effective antennas are much larger. In my area one station has been allowed to keep its low band VHF channel. Initially, because low band VHF requires significantly less transmitter power and this is a cost savings, the station felt that it had an advantage over the others. Unfortunately, the coverage area shrank because users balked at the larger antennas required for reception. Relatively small (crude in my opinion) UHF antennas that would not be practical for analog UHF/VHF reception, often work OK for digital because digital is mostly UHF at this point.

I'm not familiar with the situation in Cleveland, but in may areas most of the digital TV transmitters are clustered in a small geographic area, many times on the same tower, thus making use of a yagi more practical.

Hosting Services by ipHouse