Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday November 13, 2020 at 10:51
lippavisual
December 2007
On November 12, 2020 at 20:09, Brad Humphrey said...
That's interesting. I started using Hik cams on a lot of jobs about 6-7 years ago at least (probably longer). I have not had a single 1 fail yet - not 1.

Now I am working on a job right now that has 12 Hik cams installed from about 4 years ago that some IT guy installed. Customer says about 2 years in, they started to fail. All 12 are dead right now.
Going thru them, not a single one of the cameras had the white weather proof shell installed on the network lines. So all 12 had RJ45 getting rained on and into the connector, shorting out the cameras. OH, and he was using a passive POE injector (you know, the kind with a big power supply and just pushes out the power no matter what is attached or what is shorted). There was evidence one of the water shorted connectors had caught fire and started to burn the trim on the house. Damn lucky it seem to put itself out.
Had no problem telling the customer what a complete dumb a** idiot the IT guy was and had no clue what he was doing - "sorry he took your money". And that he was lucky the idiot didn't burn his house to the ground; because he almost did.

Location for me has a lot to do with it. Colder winters in New England kill anything that doesn’t have built-in heaters or enclosures. You know, because they don’t want to pay for it. Most decide to just replace when needed. Plus, I also find Hik to be a bit quirky for some things.

Axis does have a budget line and have used them indoors only though. Not much more than others.

Hosting Services by ipHouse