Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday November 8, 2020 at 14:32
buzz
May 2003
A gamer is having trouble with his Arris TG3482G slowing down at times. My normal suggestion would be to go FIOS or eliminate the Gateway, however, there is a Comcast back office employee in the household and FIOS could become a political issue.

I will say that there can be some impressive WiFi speeds and coverage with this Gateway on my iPad. The gamer is wired.

I'm slightly suspicious that WiFi traffic has precedence over wired, but I have no proof. I suppose that there is a possibility that the account is being throttled for some reason or that there is traffic congestion in the neighborhood, but again I have no proof. Some of the slowdowns occur at times when neighborhood congestion is unlikely (non prime time).

Gamer is using a PlayStation 4. I'm not a gamer. I'll hook them up for customers and make sure that there is picture and sound, but this the limit of my gaming involvement. Are there any diagnostic tools in PlayStation 4? This gamer often plays with a specific partner in another geographic area and it seems that this is when the slowdown issue is most significant. Are there any known issues with certain areas slowing down at times? (both endpoints are large metropolitan areas, not remote outposts)

There are not a lot of options to configure on this Gateway. I'm tempted to recommend trashing that Arris, forget the employee equipment discount, and install a proper network.

Are PlayStations more sensitive to raw speed or latency?

This is Gigabit service. At good locations I've seen the 600Mbps range on my iPad. Typically it is 350-400 at about 20ms latency. WiFi interference can be fierce at this location, but the gamer is wired.

The gateway lists 28 active clients, about 50% are wired. I don't know how long a client is considered to be "active". The gamer is one of the most active clients, with multiple computers, there are a few phones in the household, ROKU, and Sonos, but when he is gaming computers and phones take a back seat and ROKU would not be running. He will sometimes use a Sonos Arc for gaming audio. (through the TV's audio output)

Comments?

Hosting Services by ipHouse