Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 45 made on Friday October 23, 2020 at 21:07
vwpower44
August 2004
We just had a wall give way in a basement. Long story short...

My client moved into a new house. There was a basement media room with a Rear Pro DLP. The customer and I decided to upgrade to an in-expensive Epson Projector and screen and reuse some deftech speakers from his old house. We mounted the screen, then center, then left and rights. While mounting we noticed it was metal studs. No big deal...they do that in basements sometimes. about 5 minutes later, Heard a few snaps then the entire wall started slowly falling inwards towards me. It turned out the entire wall was being held up to the ceiling with 2 drywall screws. Also, the studded wall was not screwed directly into the metal studs because there was the drywall ceiling between the wall and the studs. No drywall tape either. Luckily it wasn't a lot of weight and I was able to catch it and eliminate any damage.
I also added support to the wall for a temporary fix. Had it been an 85" TV, it have been FUBAR.

So the moral of the story is that you can't count on someone else doing things right. There may not be enough cement between the brick and cinder. It could release very easily if the original work was done wrong.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish...

Hosting Services by ipHouse