The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday October 21, 2020 at 09:21
osiris
Long Time Member
November 2004
Generally not, but it's depending on the prospective client, where they came from, and what the project is.

If it's someone who just moved into town and bought a house that's of the type we typically work in, and got my name from another executive at the company they just joined, I will absolutely do what I can to take care of them, while still making money (although not as much as if I had sold the gear, obviously). Almost never will they have EVERYTHING needed for their installation, and typically taking care of this less-profitable project leads to a relationship that provides years of business.

If it's some random guy who has a gear list from AVSForum and has dropped a form email into my "contact us" page from the website (along with doing the same to probably a dozen other places), then I will return the call, ask a lot of questions, and help them to understand that I'm probably not the right fit for their project.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how my company presents itself specifically to ward off tire-kickers and "value" shoppers. A previous company that I worked at was always worried about losing the "bread and butter" projects (single-room media systems ~$10k) by appearing too high-end, so we got a lot of these sorts of inquiries (how much to install my new high-end Vizio and Klipsch package from black friday?). We get almost none of them at my current company.

Hosting Services by ipHouse