Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 38 made on Sunday October 18, 2020 at 22:46
Hi-FiGuy
January 2004
On October 18, 2020 at 09:41, highfigh said...
Bricks aren't stacked, free-standing- they're attached by using metal strips at intervals, determined by the mason. Because of that, when an insert is used, they have some kind of panel behind and that can be used to drive lags into, or use toggle bolts. If you drill a small hole in a mortar joint with a long masonry bit, you'll likely hit plywood unless they buttered the bricks and stuck them to a cementitious backing, like the kind used for tile. Even then, toggles will work but you also need to look at the forces acting on the bolts- when the mount is collapsed and the TV is close to the wall, they're undergoing shear and if the mount is extended, the TV and mount are trying to pull the top bolts out while the bottom is in compression (acting like a hinge). However, using metal shields and lag bolts is unlikely to push the bricks apart and fracture the joint unless the top row is very close to the top of the bricks. If this is the case, I would use some kind of toggle or bolt it into the backer if that will hold the bolts well enough.

Which mount are you considering?

Thank you for the detailed answer, it is appreciated. Understanding the construction methods has been my concern.

I prefer the toggler method, I prefer to have something behind the structure. This is my first home with a gas insert fire place.

As far as what mount, I have just begun looking into them and certainly am open to suggestions from you all.

The reason 75 is because its what I have already.

Hosting Services by ipHouse