The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Thursday October 15, 2020 at 09:45
SWFLMike
Long Time Member
January 2007
On October 14, 2020 at 13:07, Brad Humphrey said...

Crestron has minimums for factory direct dealers. But as I understand it, you can get equipment from places without being a dealer and places you can access the software if you really look around. Plus they don't lock the dealer (any person) out of the system - as long as you have the correct credentials.

I just went through this and the regional rep was pretty wishy-washy about it at first. When I first spoke with him and told him we were getting product from another dealer, he took the company line and gave it a pretty hard no. After we spoke a bit and he knew we weren't Crestron noobs, he *eventually* said, "yeah that's ok", because I asked him, "well how do we support our existing jobs if we're not (yet) a dealer and we can't get parts sideways?"

The thing about software, for pretty much all of it, is that the clock is always ticking. Getting it is one thing, but keeping it updated is another. For Crestron, there's a lot to keep up with between versions of software and device firmware. But they catalog it very well, so you can roll back versions if you need to. I like that.

Also - Crestron Home works much like C4, in that you don't save the project to your computer. But to ensure that you can retrieve the config in the event of a processor failure, you need to register the processor when you set it up. Otherwise, it's a whole process. Not impossible, but a bit of a chore, I guess.

Hosting Services by ipHouse